Strange behavior of vim color inside screen with 256 colors


Strange behavior of vim color inside screen with 256 colors



I was trying to make the syntax highlighting (with 256 colors) of vim work inside screen, which is running inside gterm.


vim


screen


gterm



It works quite fine in the beginning. What I mean by "in the beginning" is, after I start screen, and enter vim, the colors look fine, and there are really 256 colors.


screen


vim



But after a while (I don't know exactly how long) the colors automatically change back to an appearance as if there are only 8 (or 16?) colors.



For example, after this has already occurred, if I enter the command


hi Comment ctermfg=68



inside vim, the comments appear to be "pure" green; however, if I open another vim outside screen (in the same terminal), then with the same command the comments appear to be a "yellowish" green.


vim


vim



The following is my .screenrc settings related to color:


attrcolor b ".I"
defbce "on"
termcapinfo xterm 'Co#256:AB=E[48;5;%dm:AF=E[38;5;%dm'
term xterm-256color



After running a python script to display all the colors, I find out that maybe this is a problem of screen itself, and has nothing to do with vim.



What I did is, inside the screen session with problems, this script gives 256 colors, but many of them are actually the same; however, when I start a new screen session with the same configuration, this script gives 256 colors which are distinct from each other.


screen



Edit:



Last night I connected to my Linux computer (which is in my office and it is always on) with putty, then opened a screen session with multiple windows in it. The colors are correct last night. Then before I went to sleep I detached the screen session and closed putty.


putty


screen


screen


putty



Now in the morning when I attach that screen session in putty again, the colors crash: they appear as if there are only 8 colors.


screen


putty



The colors are fine outside screen (but still in putty).


screen


putty



Edit:



Three years later after I asked this question, today I saw a similar problem. The problem is that vim can display 256 colors outside screen, and screen can display 256 colors with a test script, but vim can't display any color (can only display black and white) inside screen. Just as a note to myself, here is the .screenrc file I am using


vim


screen


screen


vim


screen


.screenrc


hardstatus alwayslastline "%{.bW}%-w%{.rW}%n %t%{-}%+w %=%{..G} %H %{..Y} %Y-%m-%d %c"
shell "bash"
startup_message off
vbell off
altscreen on
attrcolor b ".I"
defbce "on"
termcapinfo xterm* 'is=E[rE[mE[2JE[HE[?7hE[?1;4;6l'
termcapinfo xterm 'Co#256:AB=E[48;5;%dm:AF=E[38;5;%dm'
term screen-256color



The solution to the problem is already mentioned in the accepted answer, namely, I need to include


export TERM=xterm-256color



in .bashrc.


.bashrc





Did you try your configuration with another terminal emulator? I tried your options with gnome-terminal and xterm. It work ok with both no matter how many sessions i opened.
– Pablo Castellazzi
Jul 22 '11 at 9:42






Both screen and tmux are known to spoil hues. If you don't need advanced screen features but only protection from accidental terminal closing you can use dtach. For all colors I saw hues are spoiled not much, so maybe you should instead change a terminal emulator.
– ZyX
Jul 22 '11 at 15:31






Thanks for answering! After having been waiting for almost one day, the problem finally reappears. But I still don't know what actually triggered this problem.
– FJDU
Jul 22 '11 at 17:25





Last night I connected to my Linux computer (which is in my office and it is always on) with putty, then opened a screen session with multiple windows in it. The colors are correct last night. Then before I went to sleep I detached the screen session and closed putty. Now when I attach that screen session in putty again, the colors crash: they appear as if their are only 8 colors.
– FJDU
Jul 24 '11 at 6:42






Probably not the source of your problem, but setting term xterm-256color in .screenrc is wrong. It tells applications running in screen that they're running in xterm, when of course they're running inside screen. It should be set to screen-256color. Also, you can leave out the termcapinfo line if you set TERM to xterm-256color before invoking screen to tell it that 256 colours are available.
– ak2
Jul 24 '11 at 8:12


term xterm-256color


screen-256color


termcapinfo


TERM


xterm-256color




2 Answers
2



Set TERM to xterm-256color in your .bashrc, and put term screen-256color in your .screenrc.


TERM


xterm-256color


.bashrc


term screen-256color


.screenrc



Here's why this breaks: gnome-terminal, screen, tmux, bash, putty and vim have all been written to intelligently handle 256 colors, but you need to set things up correctly at the earliest possible point. Using termcapinfo in your .screenrc is actually a duct tape solution!


termcapinfo


.screenrc



If your TERM is set correctly, it will signal to bash that you're in 256-color mode, which means it will play nice with screen being in 256-color mode as well.


TERM



So, in your .bashrc, export TERM=xterm-256color. [1]


.bashrc


export TERM=xterm-256color



In your .screenrc, use screen-256color for TERM instead of xterm-256color, and delete the rest of the cruft!


.screenrc


screen-256color


TERM


xterm-256color



In your PuTTy configuration, use putty-256color.


putty-256color



You can download the termcap entry files and put them in ~/.terminfo/s and ~/.terminfo/p, if your box doesn't have them by default.


~/.terminfo/s


~/.terminfo/p



Footnotes



[1] Setting TERM to xterm-256color in your .bashrc can be a little presumptuous, especially if you use the same .bashrc on multiple machines. I have found the following snippet to be fairly effective:


TERM


xterm-256color


.bashrc


.bashrc


case "$TERM" in
*-256color)
alias ssh='TERM=${TERM%-256color} ssh'
;;
*)
POTENTIAL_TERM=${TERM}-256color
POTENTIAL_TERMINFO=${TERM:0:1}/$POTENTIAL_TERM

# better to check $(toe -a | awk '{print $1}') maybe?
BOX_TERMINFO_DIR=/usr/share/terminfo
[[ -f $BOX_TERMINFO_DIR/$POTENTIAL_TERMINFO ]] &&
export TERM=$POTENTIAL_TERM

HOME_TERMINFO_DIR=$HOME/.terminfo
[[ -f $HOME_TERMINFO_DIR/$POTENTIAL_TERMINFO ]] &&
export TERM=$POTENTIAL_TERM
;;
esac



The alias of ssh is a defensive measure to prevent us from trying to open a 256-color terminal on a remote machine that doesn't necessarily support it. The main block is the other half of the equation; it checks to see if the corresponding terminfo entry exists, and sets it if it does.


alias





Thanks for such a detailed answer!
– FJDU
Aug 3 '11 at 9:36





You're welcome! It represents many days spent sobbing uncontrollably while reading obtuse manpages. Hopefully my suffering can shorten someone else's learning curve!
– Max Cantor
Aug 4 '11 at 19:51





Oh, and, incidentally... Did it work? :->
– Max Cantor
Aug 4 '11 at 19:51






Thanks for this !
– Gilles Quenot
May 10 '12 at 17:42





MANY thanks! Now there is only one annoying thing left in my love affair with vim: copy-pasting across servers.
– Morlock
Oct 30 '13 at 14:15



Max has an excellent answer, but I actually had to reinstall screen with ./configure --enable-colors256 to ensure that the config.h file had #define COLORS256 1 set, which was not the case by default on my machine. Then, I found that the other settings were not necessary so long as I ensured that my TERM was set to xterm-256color.


./configure --enable-colors256


config.h


#define COLORS256 1


TERM


xterm-256color





My only solution!
– jsmedmar
Nov 29 '17 at 21:59





Thanks! I went through 3-4 threads before I found this. This turned out to the culprit in my case as well!
– Ajay
Apr 19 at 15:25





On MacOS, it suffices to install screen with HomeBrew: brew install screen. The default version does not support 256 colors.
– tbrk
May 27 at 12:05


screen


brew install screen






By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

List of Kim Possible characters

Audio Livestreaming with Python & Flask

NSwag: Generate C# Client from multiple Versions of an API